Water Conservation Tips
Making Your Energy Bills Cheaper By The Drip
When it comes to indoor and outdoor plumbing, there are multiple ways to avoid unnecessary water loss and high utility bills. You may not think “every little bit helps,” but we promise you, it does. Little steps like turning off the water as your brush your teeth or wash the dishes will conserve water and reduce your bills so that you can see a huge difference in what you’re paying. Below is a list of tips that help the interior and exterior of your home.
Interior Water Conservation Tips
- Turn off the water when you brush your teeth and/or shave and save 8 gallons per day.
- Shorten showers by a few minutes to save up to 5 gallons per day per shower.
- Fix leaky faucets ASAP to save 20 gallons per day.
- Try to wash only full loads of laundry and save 15 to 50 gallons per load.
- Replace old appliances with high efficiency (HE) appliances.
- Use your water meter to check for hidden leaks.
- NEVER use your toilet as a wastebasket.
- Run your dishwasher in full loads. If you’re washing dishes by hand, don’t leave the water running.
- Store drinking water in the refrigerator. Don’t run the tap until it gets cold.
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly.
- Don’t use running water to thaw foods.
Exterior Water Conservation Tips
- Watering your yard before 8 a.m. will reduce evaporation and interference from wind and can save 25 gallons per day.
- Install a smart sprinkler with an automatic shut-off valve.
- If you use a broom instead of a hose to clean driveways and sidewalks, you can save 150 gallons each time.
- Check your sprinkler system for leaks or broken sprinkler heads. If you replace them, you’ll save 500 gallons a month.
- Plant flowers/trees/bushes that require less watering.
- Use a shut-off nozzle on your hose.
- Longer grass promotes a drought-resistant lawn, so avoid cutting your lawn every week or every two weeks and opt for once a month.
Looking for more ways to conserve water? Give Ken’s Plumbing a call.
Our technicians can advise you on saving water in your home and talk you through low-flow toilets, faucets, shower heads and more. In fact, if you join our Diamond Club, not only do you receive benefits such as 10% off ALL Ken’s Plumbing repairs and priority service, but we’ll test your toilets for leaks for FREE if you need a repair or installation. We want you to get the best bang for your buck. Schedule a service with us today or call (864) 242-5511 to reach us at the office.